Hopping On and Off Fort Lauderdale Water Taxi

April 13, 2014

Fort Lauderdale water taxi

A day tour of Fort Lauderdale via water taxi

Fort Lauderdale, Florida has plenty for a visitor to see and do, but if you only have a day there prior to boarding a cruise ship, what should you choose to see? I spent my day on the water taxi, hopping on and off at stops along the way. It was an excellent way to get a glimpse of the city.

There are multiple water taxi routes with access to beaches in Fort Lauderdale and Hollywood and a total of 19 stops. The main route runs inbound and outbound between downtown Fort Lauderdale and the coast at the eastern edge of the city. You can purchase a day pass which allows you to get off and on at any of the stops all day.

Riverwalk Park

Riverwalk Park

I was with a group of friends and we first boarded the water taxi at Riverwalk Park in downtown Fort Lauderdale. The waterfront Riverwalk contains a park, restaurants, and shops and is home to several arts and cultural venues.

The water taxi is not a guided tour, but many of the drivers point out landmarks along the way, particularly when they know they have a boat full of tourists. Part of the route passes impressive mansions. Drivers told us the history of some homes, including famous owners and price tags well out of our reach. But the multi-million dollar price tags for the homes paled in comparison to the price tags of the yachts moored in the waterways.

Mansionsand yachts

Views of mansions and yachts along the way

We stopped to wander and window-shop on Los Olas Boulevard, an area with high-end shops, galleries and restaurants. At our next stop we ate lunch on a patio overlooking the water. Other stops included a walk along the beach and a restaurant for dinner. It was a fun way to spend the day.

Los Olas Boulevard

Window shopping on Los Olas Boulevard

Fort Lauderdale Beach

Fort Lauderdale Beach

Have you used the water taxi in Fort Lauderdale. What other Fort Lauderdale attractions do you recommend?

flowers

Irene S. Levine
    April 14, 2014 at 11:25 am

What a great idea for a pre-cruise adventure!

Lois Alter Mark
    April 14, 2014 at 12:23 pm

I will definitely have to try a water cruise next time I’m in Fort Lauderdale. Those mansions are gorgeous!

Carole Terwilliger Meyers
    April 14, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Good to know. I’ll keep in mind for next time I’m in the area.

Michelle
    April 14, 2014 at 5:53 pm

This looks like so much fun! I had no idea this water cruise existed and I live in Tampa. Thank you for the information!

Nancie
    April 15, 2014 at 6:32 am

I’ve not been to Florida. If I ever get to Fort Lauderdale, I will take advantage of the water taxis. I would love to see some of those mansions.

Patti Morrow
    April 15, 2014 at 8:45 am

What a great way to bop around Ft. Lauderdale! I never knew the water taxi existed, but will definitely give it a try next time I am there.

Arleen
    April 15, 2014 at 10:29 am

I have been to Ft; Lauderdale many times and I have never heard of the water taxi. I love the idea. It has me thinking that there are other places in Florida that offer similar services.

Lis Sowerbutts
    April 15, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Gosh I thought Ft Lauderdale was just a cruise ship port – obviously it’s a bit more than that!

Doreen Pendgracs
    April 16, 2014 at 7:02 am

Hi Donna: I love Fort Lauderdale! We really enjoyed our cruise of the Intercoastal Waterway, where you ride by all the gorgeous homes along the water. It was a gorgeous journey!

Donna Janke
    April 16, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Thanks everyone for the comments. The water taxi was a fun way to spend a day and see part of Fort Lauderdale. I would definitely look for similar facilities in other cities with waterways.

Suzanne Fluhr
    April 18, 2014 at 7:15 pm

My only forays to Fort Lauderdale have been to the airport, but the water taxi sounds like a good way to see the area. I’m sharing this with my travel blogger son who lives on South Beach.

Marilyn Jones
    April 20, 2014 at 6:07 pm

I would always rather let someone else “drive” me around…what a great way to see the area!

What a Trip
    April 20, 2014 at 9:05 pm

What a great way to explore Fort Lauderdale from a water taxi.

jyoti soni
    May 1, 2014 at 2:43 am

Thanks for sharing this blog, it is very informative and interesting post keep on continuing with this.I Also provide this service plz visit me site Fort Lauderdale Waterfront Homes for sale At Forward Van Lines, we are committed to providing efficient service and fair pricing to our customers.