Walking Through History in Girona

June 17, 2015
  • 4

Girona Spain

Images from a walking tour of a Spanish town steeped in history

Girona, a city in Spain’s northeastern Catalonia region, is known for its medieval architecture. Girona is located at the conference of four rivers (Ter, Onyar, Galligans and Güell). The city began as an Iberian settlement. The Romans built a citadel and named the town Gerunda. It’s position along the Via Augusta between Cadiz and Rome made it a popular stopover spot for the Romans. Because of its strategic location, it was fought over many times throughout history, earning it the nickname “the city of a thousand sieges.”

Girona was ruled by the Visogoths and later the Moors. Charlemagne captured the city in 785 A.D. Girona became one of the principal districts of Catalonia. More than twenty sieges occurred over the subsequent years and Girona was captured seven more times.

I took a guided walking tour of the old medieval part of the city. Here are images of Girona from that tour.

Bridge to Girona Old Town

Bridge across the Onyar to Girona Old Town

Narrow streets of Girona

Narrow streets

Girona

In the first century B.C. the Romans built a fortress with an almost triangular perimeter known as the Força Vella. Parts of that wall can still be seen today. Extensions to the wall were done in medieval times.

Girona

Basilica of Sant Feliu, the first cathedral in Girona.The present day building was constructed between the 14th and 18th centuries.

Basilica of Sant Feliu, the first cathedral in Girona.
The present day building was constructed between the 14th and 18th centuries.

Basilica of Sant Feliu

Baroque facade of Basilica of Sant Feliu

Sant Pere de Galligants

Sant Pere de Galligants, a Benedictine monastery

Sant Pere de Galligants belltower

Sant Pere de Galligants bell tower has an octagonal shape and Lombard bands

Girona Cathedral

The Cathedral, built between the 11th and 17th centuries

Stairway in the Call in Girona

Our tour group making their way down a steep, narrow stairway
in the Call, the old Jewish quarter

There was a significant Jewish population in Girona from the nineth century through the fifteenth century, with over 1,000 Jews present at the height of prosperity, artisans, merchants, doctors, bankers, moneylenders, poets and philosophers. By the twelfth century, the population had become concentrated in the narrow labyrinth of streets in the Call, a term which meant “narrow streets”. The Call was close to the Cathedral, from which clerical authorities could offer protection or, as our tour guide suggested, keep a watchful eye on the Jews.

When the plague swept across Europe in the mid-14th century, Jews became scapegoats. The incidence of the disease was lower among the Jewish population because of their isolation in ghettos and better hygiene due to ritual handwashing. The Call became a place of confinement and discrimination against Jews increased. They were expelled from Girona in 1492. Their homes remained vacant for centuries until new structures were built and gradually buried the Jewish call. Work to uncover and preserve Girona’s Jewish history began in the late 1970s. Today the city is home to a Jewish history museum and a centre for Jewish studies.

Girona

Arab baths, Girona

Entrance to Arab baths, built in the 12th century

Catalonia flags

Many homes displayed Catalonia flags

Moderisme in Girona

Moderisme influence also appears

Houses along Onyar River

Houses along Onyar River

Monument built in 1894 to commemorate 1809 Girona defenders.Monument is in Placa de la Independencia, Girona's most popular square.

Monument built in 1894 to commemorate 1809 Girona defenders.
Monument is in Plaça de la Independència, Girona’s most popular square.

Girona is about 115 kilometres northeast of Barcelona. It can be reached by train, bus or car. Girona is a popular stop on tour company day excursions outside of Barcelona.

PIN ITWalking Through History in Girona Spain

• 4
    jacquiegum
    June 18, 2015 at 4:56 am

Very interesting! I have never been to Girona…but the pictures are beautiful. I particularly liked the basilica. Very interesting history

June 18, 2015 at 9:18 am

Thanks Jacquie.

maxwell ivey
    June 19, 2015 at 6:33 pm

Hi donna; thanks for taking us along on your walk through girona. it sounds like a well prepared tour that they offer. I can almost hear the ring of swords clashing or monks praying or bells ringing. thanks for sharing, max

June 20, 2015 at 11:26 am

Thanks Max. I love your imagination.

Safariontheblog
    June 20, 2015 at 1:23 am

Oh wow! I love your Destination blog posts. I always look forward to reading them. Never been to Girona but thanks for taking me along Donna.

June 20, 2015 at 11:27 am

Thanks. I’m glad your enjoyed my little tour of Girona.

Erica
    June 21, 2015 at 8:10 pm

You make me really want to travel. I’ve never been to Girona, but the architecture is fabulous. It is sad that people could survive the plague, only to be scapegoated for not becoming sick. But as history continually teaches us, a scapegoat is one of the most used tools to combat anger and fear.

June 22, 2015 at 2:24 pm

Erica, it is sad that people have so often made scapegoats of innocent people. Sometimes we don’t learn from history and continue to look for scapegoats. You’re right – it is often driven by fear.

Phoenicia
    June 22, 2015 at 2:39 am

First cathedral of Girona – beautiful.

I love the monument in what looks a square. The flowers surrounding it adds to the beauty.

The narrow streets and alleyway would suffocate me as I am claustrophobic. I can see myself running from one end to the other!

Thanks for sharing.

June 22, 2015 at 2:26 pm

Phoenicia, I’m glad you enjoyed the photos. I tend to feelings of claustrophobia in certain situations, but didn’t feel at all claustrophobic in the narrow streets and alleyways. Perhaps that is because there was open sky overhead. But I know claustrophobia affects different people in different ways.

lenie5860
    June 22, 2015 at 4:04 am

Donna, you do present the most beautiful photos. I love the one of the monastery and was awed by the cathedral. Imagine the workmanship in that building. Unbelievable.
    But the story of the Jews wasn’t as nice and I’m pleased that they now have a Jewish History Museum and a place for Jewish studies.
    Great information – thanks again for sharing.

June 22, 2015 at 2:28 pm

Thanks Lenie. The workmanship is certainly impressive. Unfortunately, most of our cities have some sad parts to their history.

Beth Niebuhr
    June 22, 2015 at 6:02 am

Another tempting destination! I love your pictures. I was glad to see a handrail on that stairway down in the call. So the Jews were scapegoats because they didn’t get sick in as high numbers as others? How stupid is that!

June 22, 2015 at 2:29 pm

Thank Beth. As Erica pointed out, making scapegoats of innocent people if often driven by anger and fear. I still agree with you that it is stupid.

Catarina Alexon
    June 22, 2015 at 7:29 am

Spain has a lot to offer. Lived and worked there but have to admit, I have never visited Girona. Or if I have I have forgotten. Good photographs.

June 22, 2015 at 2:34 pm

Thanks Catarina. I certainly would like to get back to Spain and explore more of it.

Meredith
    June 22, 2015 at 9:05 am

What a wonderful photo tour, thanks for sharing with us! I love all those medieval castle walls. You can see how many structures were built to withstand all those sieges. Adding Girona to my travel list…

June 22, 2015 at 2:36 pm

Thanks Meredith. Not all of the wall and buildings survived the sieges intact. Many parts of the wall have been rebuilt over the centuries. In places at the bottom of the way were stones that dated back to Roman times that our guide pointed out.

Ken Dowell
    June 22, 2015 at 4:42 pm

Interesting history. I guess all those high walls come in handy if your going to be subject to siege that often.

June 24, 2015 at 9:04 am

Ken, the high walls may have helped, but certainly didn’t completely protect the city from the sounds of it.

Leora
    June 22, 2015 at 4:58 pm

I especially like hearing about the Jewish Quarter of Girona. My husband told me about a tour of Jewish Spain – it is so large, you fly from one city to another (another tour was of Italy – that one was by boat). I have quite a few friends who are descended from Jews who had leave Spain, their home for many generations, in 1492. Now that they have been offered citizenship, one of my friends who lives in NY is thinking of taking them up on it. We told him if he does so, we will come visit!

June 24, 2015 at 9:08 am

Leora, if I had a friend who moved to Spain, I would certainly be planning a visit.

Anita and Richard @ No Particular Place To Go
    June 23, 2015 at 3:01 am

Loved your beautiful photos and virtual tour of Girona. The history and architecture of this Spanish city is fascinating with its narrow, winding streets and towering walls to protect it from invasion. My favorite kind of post to read!

June 24, 2015 at 9:09 am

Thanks Anita. The narrow, winding streets with all the stonework were interesting to walk through. It felt like stepping back in time.

Jeri Walker (@JeriWB)
    June 23, 2015 at 8:08 pm

Your posts on Spain continue to keep it high on the list of country’s I someday hope to visit. All of that hand stonework is amazing and speaks so much for the craftsmanship that goes into things built to last. Narrow streets like that are fun to wander around for hours.

June 24, 2015 at 9:10 am

Jeri, I agree that narrow streets like this are fun to wander around, especially as they twist and turn and you never know what you might discover.

heraldmarty
    June 25, 2015 at 7:42 am

Fascinating Donna! Spain is one country I have missed so far. We were actually heading that way from France a few years ago, but fell in love with Cannes so we extended our stay there and cancelled Spain. One of these days. Love your photos, but I have to admit the very narrow streets would probably get to me pretty quickly.

June 28, 2015 at 6:53 am

I haven’t been to Cannes – maybe I’ll get there someday and you’ll get to Spain.

Tim
    June 26, 2015 at 1:13 pm

I always love a post with historical facts and pictures Donna. Seems to me though that if I lived in a town with the nickname “the city of a thousand sieges” I may want to consider a move 🙂

June 28, 2015 at 6:51 am

Thanks Tim. “the city of a thousand sieges” doesn’t sound like a place one would be anxious to move to either. But i’s a pretty, interesting place now.

Jason @ TheButlerJournal.com
    June 26, 2015 at 2:52 pm

I’ve never been to a city where the streets were that narrow. It looks very interesting.

June 28, 2015 at 6:54 am

I’ve visited a few cities with narrow streets, but a couple of the alleyways in Girona were the narrowest I think I’ve seen.

Susan Cooper/findingourwaynow.com
    June 26, 2015 at 4:05 pm

Great pictures as always. The info on Jewish Quarter of Girona was fascinating. I hadn’t heard about that before. It is nice they are finally working to uncover and preserve this chapter in Jewish history.

June 28, 2015 at 6:56 am

Susan, I also found it interesting that the Jewish history had become lost for so many years. It is nice to see it uncovered now.

Arleen
    June 26, 2015 at 5:23 pm

We love Spain. Unfortunately we never made it north of Barcelona. I was looking into visiting the towns along the Costo Brava, but never made. At some point we will and I have to say your pictures reinforced it. I love the old streets. I had no idea about the Jewish history in Girona.

June 28, 2015 at 6:58 am

Arleen, this was my first trip to Spain and I was mostly in Barcelona. I want to go back and explore more of Costa Brava and the rest of the country.

William Rusho
    June 27, 2015 at 11:48 pm

Another great post. I like reading the history you provide, and also the pictures. I am always fascinated by the architecture of the Middle Ages and the renaissance. It is amazing at what they could do with simple tool.

June 28, 2015 at 6:59 am

William, it certainly is amazing to see what was built with simple tools.

revelbos
    June 28, 2015 at 2:28 pm

Hi Donna. I wasn’t familiar with Girona, but it looks beautiful! When planned out thoroughly, tours can be the best way to soak up all that a site has to offer.

July 9, 2015 at 3:53 pm

I like when tours give you history, background and a few interesting stories about what you see.