Gratitude

October 11, 2015
  • 2

Gratitude

Thoughts and quotes about giving thanks

This Monday is Thanksgiving Day in Canada. It is an opportunity to remember things we are thankful for. Sometimes in our busy lives, we take our riches for granted. The big things, such as a warm home, family and friends, food on the table, our ability to help others. The little things, such as the warmth of the sun on our faces, the beauty of a sunset, a song on the radio, the joy in a child’s smile, a passing butterfly, the smell of freshly mown grass. The blessings to be found in the midst of grief and turmoil, a comforting hug, a shared tear, a helping hand, a note from a friend, moments of escape in laughter and entertainment.

The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings. ∼Eric Hoffer

My socks may not match but my feet are always warm. ∼Maureen McCullough

Gratitude paints little smiley faces on everything it touches. ∼Richelle E. Goodrich

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. ∼John F. Kennedy

Hem your blessings with gratitude so they don’t unravel. ∼Author Unknown

Each of us cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. ∼Albert Schweitzer

When you practice gratefulness, there is a sense of respect toward others. ∼Dalai Lama

It isn’t what is in your pocket that makes you thankful, but what you have in your heart. ∼Author Unknown

Gratitude can transform common days into thanksgiving, turn routine jobs into joy, and change ordinary opportunities into blessings. ∼William Arthur Ward

If the only prayer you said was thank you, that would be enough. ∼Meister Eckhart

• 2
    Eva
    October 11, 2015 at 10:16 am

Happy Thanksgiving to you and to your family!

Donna Janke
      October 12, 2015 at 12:36 pm

Thanks Eva. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family too.

Sabrina Q.
    October 12, 2015 at 7:07 am

Happy Thanksgiving to you! I really enjoyed the quotes especially “We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude. ∼Cynthia Ozick”. In the U.S., our Thanksgiving is the last Thursday of November. I personally enjoy that day, because my husband cooks and family comes over. =)

Donna Janke
      October 12, 2015 at 12:38 pm

Sabrina, I have celebrated Thanksgiving in Canada and in the U.S. There are many similarities, but a few differences as well. The best part in both countries in my opinion is the time with family.

Jacqueline Gum
    October 12, 2015 at 10:19 am

Happy Thanksgiving Donna, to you and yours. ALL of these quotes are so wonderful, my favorite being from JFK. So many people don’t walk the walk. It’s a reminder that sayoing isn’t always doing. Obvioulsy for you, that’s not the case becasue you’ve expressed this so beautifully!

Donna Janke
      October 12, 2015 at 12:39 pm

Thanks Jacquie.

Lyn aka The Travelling Lindfields
    October 13, 2015 at 2:32 am

We don’t have thanksgiving in Australia but it sounds like a lovely time to reflect on all the things we should be grateful for.

Donna Janke
      October 13, 2015 at 11:45 am

Lyn, it is a good reminder to reflect on all one has to be thankful for, although I think we need to be reminded daily to be grateful. Thanksgiving is also a time for getting together with family and friends.

Anita and Richard @ No Particular Place To Go
    October 14, 2015 at 9:13 am

We celebrated the Canadian Thanksgiving Monday in Florida with our Canadian friends before they left us to housesit their home. Hoping that we’re back in Portugal before the US Thanksgiving rolls around but I certainly am enjoying all the comforts of home as well as the chance to enjoy lots of pumpkin pie! I think traveling keeps us grateful and aware of how fortunate we are! Anita

Donna Janke
      October 29, 2015 at 5:08 pm

Anita, in the last couple of years we’ve been in Canada to celebrate the Canadian Thanksgiving and in the U.S. to celebrate U.S. Thanksgiving. Lots of fun. May happen again this year.

Catarina Alexon
    October 26, 2015 at 8:19 am

Gratitude in my opinion is fundamental in life. On a daily basis I feel grateful for even small things that happens to me one way or another. Am really annoyed with the abundance of people who state that, say regugees, should not be grateful to the country that gives them asylum.

Donna Janke
      October 29, 2015 at 5:15 pm

Catarina, I think it is good to take time each day to be thankful for the big and small things in life. I admit I have not heard any of the conversation about refugees and gratitude to country of asylum.

Mahal Hudson
    October 29, 2015 at 12:20 am

Gratitude….a piece of us that we yearn and a piece of us that we are short of giving.

Donna Janke
      October 29, 2015 at 5:16 pm

Interesting observation Mahal.

Pamela Chollet
    October 30, 2015 at 11:24 am

I love the quote, “We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude”. A prime example the little( but really big) things we take for granted is a, “paper cut” on our finger. A tiny little slash on your index finger makes so many tasks painful. Today Im grateful for my finger tips!

Donna Janke
      October 31, 2015 at 10:53 am

Pamela, you make a good point about by the many little things we take for granted but need to be grateful for.